28 July 2010

Garden Treasures

One day while out in the garden I found two black swallowtail caterpillars.  I have always heard the process of them becoming a butterfly was awesome...so I brought them inside and made them a home and decided we would watch them do just that!  Jonathan is fascinated with them and calls them "gug gugs"...yep, sounds just like caterpillar...haha!  Anyways, those lil' guys can eat!!  One night I gave them fresh food and I woke up the next morning and they ate EVERYTHING and were moving around looking for more food.  So not only did I have my own children to feed I had to get them breakfast as well!!!  BUT as of yesterday (7/27) one of them FINALLY started to pupate.  The first pic is what they looked like when I found them, and the second one the caterpillar has itself attached to a stick by the thread to pupate.  It is VERY interesting...I hope to have more pics up as they change and then the final product! :-)  Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Wow! I've never done that. Can't wait to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete